Theater legend Robert Avian is known for the unique style, class and poetic depth of his works. It is no wonder why some 40 years ago he took what was a hunting lodge that needed some tender loving care in the bucolic town of Kent, Conn., and turned it into a impeccably tasteful, idyllic retreat, one that meshes wonderfully with its natural environment. Avian, 76, a dancer, choreographer, theater producer and director, purchased what is now known as The Lodge at Flanders Mountain in the 1970s. The Tony Award-winner (choreography for ‘A Chorus Line,’ ‘Dreamgirls,’ ‘Ballroom’) quickly began a renovation of the main building, as well as several other structures on the property, and set about creating a magical manmade landscape that rivaled the...
Vintage-Inspired Fashion Show May 9 at Connecticut Historical Society Marries Designs of Past and Present
Historical fashions act as inspiration for new looks in the Connecticut Historical Society's upcoming event, Haute History: A Vintage-Inspired Fashion Show on May 9 in Hartford.
We love Évocateur, the Connecticut-based jewelry brand whose fanciful cuffs (and everything else) are pure, beautiful artistry in motion. This is what we said in opening a September 2013 story: Katie Couric, Vogue Paris and InStyle magazine are among the internationally-branded arbiters of fashion who have discovered a unique Connecticut gem, the fine jewelry and accessories atelier Évocateur, which alchemizes artisan jewelry-making and high art to create one-of-a-kind cuffs, bangles, necklaces, pendants, earrings and belts—gilded with a proprietary “flecking” process. If you haven't yet discovered Évocateur, which is based in East Norwalk, a perfect opportunity to do so is this weekend at an Évocateur trunk show...
The American Fine Craft Show is at the XL Center in Hartford on April 24-26.
Connecticut's shopping is fabulous, and while some of it is spread out, there are also lots of target-rich environments that are also loaded with fine dining and lifestyle amenities.
About This Blog
- July 2015
- June 2015
- May 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014
- October 2014
- Style & Shopping (131)
- Ward Castle on Greenwich Border is Rich with History | Comments
- A Conversation with American Bridal Designer Judd Waddell | Comments
- Say No to Knockoffs: When the Wedding Dress Seems Too Good to Be True | Comments
- Fully Restored 1850s Dairy Barn Awarded Alice Washburn Honorable Mention | Comments
- Mixed and Matched Renovation in Redding Receives Honorable Mention | Comments
- Simple New Canaan Pool House Deserves Honorable Mention at Awards | Comments
- Greenwich Folly Wins Accessory Building Category, Alice Washburn Awards | Comments
- Greenwich New Build Takes Home Top Alice Washburn Award for Character | Comments
- 2015 Alice Washburn Architectural Winners | Comments
- $11 Million Rowayton Island Where Marilyn Monroe Once Partied For Sale | Comments