Theater legend Robert Avian is known for the unique style, class and poetic depth of his works. It is no wonder why some 40 years ago he took what was a hunting lodge that needed some tender loving care in the bucolic town of Kent, Conn., and turned it into a impeccably tasteful, idyllic retreat, one that meshes wonderfully with its natural environment. Avian, 76, a dancer, choreographer, theater producer and director, purchased what is now known as The Lodge at Flanders Mountain in the 1970s. The Tony Award-winner (choreography for ‘A Chorus Line,’ ‘Dreamgirls,’ ‘Ballroom’) quickly began a renovation of the main building, as well as several other structures on the property, and set about creating a magical manmade landscape that rivaled the...
Vintage-Inspired Fashion Show May 9 at Connecticut Historical Society Marries Designs of Past and Present
Historical fashions act as inspiration for new looks in the Connecticut Historical Society's upcoming event, Haute History: A Vintage-Inspired Fashion Show on May 9 in Hartford.
We love Évocateur, the Connecticut-based jewelry brand whose fanciful cuffs (and everything else) are pure, beautiful artistry in motion. This is what we said in opening a September 2013 story: Katie Couric, Vogue Paris and InStyle magazine are among the internationally-branded arbiters of fashion who have discovered a unique Connecticut gem, the fine jewelry and accessories atelier Évocateur, which alchemizes artisan jewelry-making and high art to create one-of-a-kind cuffs, bangles, necklaces, pendants, earrings and belts—gilded with a proprietary “flecking” process. If you haven't yet discovered Évocateur, which is based in East Norwalk, a perfect opportunity to do so is this weekend at an Évocateur trunk show...
The American Fine Craft Show is at the XL Center in Hartford on April 24-26.
Connecticut's shopping is fabulous, and while some of it is spread out, there are also lots of target-rich environments that are also loaded with fine dining and lifestyle amenities.
About This Blog
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- Style & Shopping (156)
- Stepping Out: November 2016 | Comments
- Woodbridge Artist's Fire Produces Perfect Pottery, Flaws and All | Comments
- Stepping Out: September 2016 | Comments
- Insider Tips From a Flea Market Pro | Comments
- 10 Best Flea Markets in Connecticut for Rare Finds, Great Bargains | Comments
- Stepping Out: August 2016 | Comments
- Mother-Daughter Jewelry Designs Worn by Celebrities in Support of Local Charities | Comments
- New Luxury Guesthouse Tall Tales Sprouts up at Saybrook Point Inn & Spa | Comments
- Stepping Out: July 2016 | Comments
- Alice Washburn Awards 2016: Quaint Washington Cottage Takes Home Top Prize | Comments