Connecticut history from a women's perspective is on display in this new exhibition at the Connecticut Historical Society.
While World War I dominated the news, in other world affairs, the Panama Canal was officially opened after a decade of work--and Babe Ruth made his debut with the Red Sox.
Celebrating the Origin of Santa and Three Centuries of Christmas at the Webb-Deane-Stevens Museum in Wethersfield.
The Webb-Deane-Stevens Museum in Wethersfield has a knack for bringing history to life, and Christmas is a perfect time to exhibit its talents. The museum’s three period homes are currently decked in holiday splendor with doors open for tours through Jan. 6. According to Julie Winkel, part of the museum’s creative team headed by executive director Charles T. Lyle, this year’s holiday display was inspired by renowned artist Thomas Nast’s images of a “modern-day” friendly Santa who traveled by sleigh propelled by eight flying reindeer. “When Clement Moore penned the words, ‘Twas the night before Christmas…’ in 1822,' he could not have imagined the...
There's more to Wooster Square than just world-class pizza.
Although it's been 50 years since the assassination of John F. Kennedy, and more than 75 since the 35th President of the United States attended Wallingford's Choate Rosemary Hall, his presence is still felt on campus.
About This Blog
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- History (68)
- Connecticut's Witch Trials Explored in New Book; Salem Trials Came Later | Comments
- Oxford Man Receives WWII Medals Almost 70 Years After Earning Them | Comments
- Craft Beer, Burgers and Cigars: Best Connecticut History Event Ever? | Comments
- Ghosts to 'Haunt' John Downs House in Milford on Halloween | Comments
- The Way We Went Potty: Wethersfield Museum Restores Historic Outhouses | Comments
- Connecticut Women’s Hall of Fame Celebrates Innovative Women This Year | Comments
- William Gillette’s Long Lost Sherlock Holmes Film Rediscovered in Paris | Comments
- Castle Craig Offers Towering Views of Fall Foliage | Comments
- Go Inside, Even Fly In, World War II Bombers at Bradley Airport Event | Comments
- JFK Assassination and Conspiracy Theories Are Topic at Mark Twain House Event | Comments