Celebrating the Origin of Santa and Three Centuries of Christmas at the Webb-Deane-Stevens Museum in Wethersfield.
The Webb-Deane-Stevens Museum in Wethersfield has a knack for bringing history to life, and Christmas is a perfect time to exhibit its talents. The museum’s three period homes are currently decked in holiday splendor with doors open for tours through Jan. 6. According to Julie Winkel, part of the museum’s creative team headed by executive director Charles T. Lyle, this year’s holiday display was inspired by renowned artist Thomas Nast’s images of a “modern-day” friendly Santa who traveled by sleigh propelled by eight flying reindeer. “When Clement Moore penned the words, ‘Twas the night before Christmas…’ in 1822,' he could not have imagined the...
There's more to Wooster Square than just world-class pizza.
Although it's been 50 years since the assassination of John F. Kennedy, and more than 75 since the 35th President of the United States attended Wallingford's Choate Rosemary Hall, his presence is still felt on campus.
Bethel author Thomas J. Craughwell discusses one of the lesser-known and unusual incidents in U.S. presidential history: the failed plot to steal the body of Abraham Lincoln.
A new showroom on Route 7 in Wilton features pieces made by two historic New England furniture makers, The Hitchcock Chair Co., Ltd. and Eldred Wheeler.
About This Blog
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- History (66)
- Craft Beer, Burgers and Cigars: Best Connecticut History Event Ever? | Comments
- Ghosts to 'Haunt' John Downs House in Milford on Halloween | Comments
- The Way We Went Potty: Wethersfield Museum Restores Historic Outhouses | Comments
- Connecticut Women’s Hall of Fame Celebrates Innovative Women This Year | Comments
- William Gillette’s Long Lost Sherlock Holmes Film Rediscovered in Paris | Comments
- Castle Craig Offers Towering Views of Fall Foliage | Comments
- Go Inside, Even Fly In, World War II Bombers at Bradley Airport Event | Comments
- JFK Assassination and Conspiracy Theories Are Topic at Mark Twain House Event | Comments
- Haunted Castle in Millbrook, N.Y., Open for Tours; B&B Has Dungeon Room | Comments
- Maritime Heritage Festival Includes Great New London Chowder Challenge | Comments