The issue of sex trafficking involving children is a significant enough problem in Connecticut that the state Department of Children and Families has an anti-trafficking resspone team and hosted a forum on the issue Wednesday at the Connecticut Convention Center. January is human trafficking awareness month.
The 286 units issued housing permits issued in December represented a 45.4 percent decline from the number issued during the same period in 2012.
Stitched modestly into the broad canvas of Pete Seeger’s life and impact are several key ties to Connecticut that deserve a look for all who knew and loved the music and the man.
An internship designed to help the Cornwall Historical Society determine how many enslaved people were kept in that town has revealed a tantalizing connection between the town and the film “12 Years a Slave,” nominated for nine Academy Awards, including Best Picture. While doing his research, Ryan Bachman of Norfolk (below), an anthropology major who is now applying to graduate schools, came across a reference to Victory Birdseye and his role in drafting the legislation that eventually helped free Solomon Northrup, an educated free black man who had been kidnapped into slavery. In 1853 Northrup wrote his memoir, “12 Years a Slave,” which has been now transformed into a much-acclaimed movie by director Steve McQueen. Victory Birdseye, the architect...
Victim's Privacy, Mental Health Among Connecticut Task Forces That Will Report to Legislature in 2014
Task forces created in 2013 are preparing to report back with recommendations to the legislature in 2014.
About This Blog
- April 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- Connecticut Today (320)
- On Heels of UConn's NCAA Titles, Student-Athletes Unionizing Has Traction | Comments
- Connecticut Catholics Welcome New Bishops | Comments
- Gustave Whitehead First to Fly? Maybe. Will His Fairfield House Crash? | Comments
- WNBA, Connecticut Sun Continue to Thrive | Comments
- Day Care Costs Connecticut Families More Than Public College Tuition | Comments
- Beware Wolfdogs in Connecticut? Mysterious Canines Roam Ledyard Area | Comments
- Demonstrators Fight Against Income Inequality in Connecticut Cities | Comments
- Aftermath of Massive Connecticut Fire: $3 Million in Damage, $18,000 in Overtime, 150 Firefighters, 25 Departments ... | Comments
- With Victory Tonight UConn Does the 'Impossible', NCAA Tourney Sweep (Again) | Comments
- UConn Women Have an Edge Against Notre Dame in NCAA Championship Game | Comments