This month, Chris Wuerth of Hamden marks his 40th concert with bluegrass royalty—Rhonda Vincent and the Rage, performing Oct. 26
When asked how he responds to the question, “What do you do?” from a stranger, John Everett Scofield said he takes a simple approach: “Well, I’m a designer.”
Steve Martin, Phylicia Rashad, August Wilson and Athol Fugard Play Starring Roles at Long Wharf Theatre in 2013-14
Martin's acclaimed adaptation of the 1911 farce "The Underpants" kicks off the revered regional theater's 49th season Oct. 16.
Nicole Frechette might not be a coal miner’s daughter. But Nashville has still taken notice. As has Billboard Magazine. True, in her Shoreline childhood home, the radio did not play an endless loop of Grand Ole Opry broadcasts. At the dinner table, no one retold Minnie Pearl jokes. The 28-year-old, whose band will headline the Harvest Music Hoedown at Clinton’s Chamard Vineyards Sunday, did not address her parents as Mama and Daddy. Indeed, aside from an aunt she never knew and a grandmother who plays the organ and belts out songs “at the top of her lungs,” the striking blonde said at a recent interview, no one in her family is musical in any capacity. And yet there was Nikki Fresh, as her friends call her, singing since she could speak, singing...
The Hartford Symphony Orchestra opens its 70th anniversary season Friday night with a concert that will be bookended by different aspects of a festive food-and-drinks-oriented celebration and features Saint-Saëns’ “Organ Symphony,” Lou Harrison’s Concerto for Pipa with guest artist Wu Man, and Bach’s Toccata and Fugue in D minor, with the Connecticut Youth Symphony onstage with the HSO. The performance will be repeated Saturday night. “The 70th Opening Night concerts celebrate the Hartford Symphony’s dedication to artistic excellence, community engagement and creating harmony in Hartford,” HSO President & CEO Carrie Hammond said about performances that will be led by HSO music director Carolyn Kuan. “From cultural...
About This Blog
- Arts & Entertainment (129)
- Violin Virtuoso Sirena Huang to Play Sibelius With Hartford Symphony; We're Thinking Epiphany | Comments
- Connecticut's 'Christmas Town' Tree Lighting; Bethlehem Festival Starts Friday | Comments
- Tom Rush, 1960s Godfather of New England Folk Music, Comes to StageOne in Fairfield Dec. 8 | Comments
- Can Governor, Mark Twain Outglow Greenwich, Woodbury, Suffield, Fairfield With Holiday Houses? | Comments
- This Season, Hartford's TheaterWorks Gives Us Christmas Cheer with a Shot of Wry | Comments
- Holiday Lights at Lake Compounce in Bristol: Dazzling Seasonal Festivities | Comments
- Civil Rights Activist's African Art Collection Comes to Yale Museum | Comments
- Canaan Photographer Zetterstrom Shows 80's Images of China at Wesleyan | Comments
- The Daily Show's Jon Stewart Declares Supremacy of NYC Pizza | Comments
- Connecticut Shoreline Arts Trail Weekend: 34 Studios, 47 Artists, Shopping, Dining Discounts ... | Comments