Steve Martin, Phylicia Rashad, August Wilson and Athol Fugard Play Starring Roles at Long Wharf Theatre in 2013-14
Martin's acclaimed adaptation of the 1911 farce "The Underpants" kicks off the revered regional theater's 49th season Oct. 16.
Nicole Frechette might not be a coal miner’s daughter. But Nashville has still taken notice. As has Billboard Magazine. True, in her Shoreline childhood home, the radio did not play an endless loop of Grand Ole Opry broadcasts. At the dinner table, no one retold Minnie Pearl jokes. The 28-year-old, whose band will headline the Harvest Music Hoedown at Clinton’s Chamard Vineyards Sunday, did not address her parents as Mama and Daddy. Indeed, aside from an aunt she never knew and a grandmother who plays the organ and belts out songs “at the top of her lungs,” the striking blonde said at a recent interview, no one in her family is musical in any capacity. And yet there was Nikki Fresh, as her friends call her, singing since she could speak, singing...
The Hartford Symphony Orchestra opens its 70th anniversary season Friday night with a concert that will be bookended by different aspects of a festive food-and-drinks-oriented celebration and features Saint-Saëns’ “Organ Symphony,” Lou Harrison’s Concerto for Pipa with guest artist Wu Man, and Bach’s Toccata and Fugue in D minor, with the Connecticut Youth Symphony onstage with the HSO. The performance will be repeated Saturday night. “The 70th Opening Night concerts celebrate the Hartford Symphony’s dedication to artistic excellence, community engagement and creating harmony in Hartford,” HSO President & CEO Carrie Hammond said about performances that will be led by HSO music director Carolyn Kuan. “From cultural...
Intricately carved pumpkins will be aglow in a fairy-tale themed jack-o'-lantern spectacular at Fort Hill Farms.
Holly Holden is an estimable force in the world of interior design. Through her firm, Holly Holden & Company, Ltd., the ASID Allied Member from Farmington serves clients across the U.S. and internationally, bringing them a graceful, genteel style that bespeaks timless understatement—rooms that feel comfortable even as they anchored by a formal gravity. And then, too, there’s a sense of ebullience, in classical mode, given that Holden’s favorite color is pink.
About This Blog
- Arts & Entertainment (172)
- Connecticut Author Chases Ghost (Stories); Latest Book on West Virginia | Comments
- American Idol Castoffs From Connecticut 'Vote' on the Experience: Yes, Yes, Big No | Comments
- 'American Hustle' Shut Out at Oscars, but Abscam Book It's Based on Still Riveting | Comments
- Art Project in Response to Iraqi Car Bomb Comes to New Haven | Comments
- Meryl Streep, Oscars' Stars and Other Celebs in Connecticut (We Map Them) | Comments
- Beyond the Oscars: Upcoming Movies With Connecticut Connections | Comments
- Connecticut Draw for Artists With Music in Films Like 'Hall Pass', on TV? A Library | Comments
- Fresh Off Gig With 'X-Factor' Brand Name, Connecticut Singer Wins Best New Act | Comments
- Dustin Hoffman Talks Acting in Fairfield, Where He's Filming 'Boychoir' | Comments
- Tony Award-Winning Love Story 'Once' Opening at Shubert in New Haven | Comments